Organization: World Food Programme
Closing date: 27 Sep 2017
Post Title and level
IT Operations Officer NO-B, IT Helpdesk (Global Support Services)
Reporting to RMTM, ITSD Coordinator, WFP HQ. Rome
Position Contract: Fixed Term Appointment
Duty Station: New Delhi, India
Duration: One year (Renewable) No.of Positions 1 (One)
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
To deliver efficient and effective IT and Telecommunications (TC) services, contributing to sound, innovative solutions that enable staff to deliver food assistance to beneficiaries, in line with WFP’s strategy.
Reporting and Supervision
The Global IT Service Desk reports directly to the ITSD Coordinator in HQ and supervises three (3) team leaders and 15 ITSD Assistants in WFP India CO (based in Delhi).
Main responsibility and tasks
- Work with IT senior management in HQ to contribute and develop the plans supporting the Organization IT vision, direction and strategy as well as to establish Service Desk management related annual budgets, priority and resource requirements;
- Monitor all IT Service Desk related requests and ensure courteous, timely and effective resolution of end-user issues;
- Participates and assigns resources to projects. Reviews, edits and approved process documents or standard operating procedures (SOPs);
- Manage the Service Desk staffing, including staff and shift leaders, work planning, coordination, supervision, scheduling, development, evaluation and reporting;
- Develop and maintain appropriate Information Technology and Telecommunications contingency capacity. Contribute to the preparation and regular update of contingency plans; periodically monitor the management of risks and report on any actions taken; ensure that all offices are always adequately equipped;
- Establishes and surveys performance metrics for service management measures and reports on trends of service delivery performance across the organisation and on ITSM tool;
- Leads and mentor’s team leaders and team members provide direction through development plans and Performance Competency Enhancement (PACE) evaluations, monitors workload, project workloads and responsibilities in support of the organisation vision, goals and standards of behaviour;
- Manages processes for communicating outage/emergency situations and scheduled planned maintenance activities to the organisation. Also, collaborates with other IT leaders to review communication methods periodically to identify potential changes in ways to enhance communication effectiveness;
- Leads a positive team creating an environment which encourages team and collaboration first then collaborative and capable negotiation skills allowing the candidate to partners collaboratively with organisation management finding the enhanced solutions;
- Participate in the implementation and the adoption of the Governance’s principles and practices for the Enterprise (Windows Server 2016, O365, SCOM, SCCM, etc.)
Main Duties and Responsibilities Contd.
- Review and endorse staffing Performance Competency Enhancement (PACE) evaluations, Rosters, Night shift, and plans to manage a 24x7x365 coverage expectation to target service quality;
- Identify and test new software and hardware for improving and upgrading system performance; install any technology upgrades as required;
- Analyse and suggest the measures to improve the customer satisfaction score;
- Follow standard emergency preparedness and contingency planning practices to ensure that the IT Service Desk is able to provide IT services and quickly respond and deploy resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Ensure effective coordination with other UN agencies in order to maximise possibilities of inter-agency collaboration in the field of IT and Telecommunications;
- Perform other related duties as required;
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
Capability NameDescription of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level**Governance, Strategy and Architecture** Shares knowledge of IT governance process and system architecture development with team and analyses current designs for improvements and enhancements while ensuring compliance with legislation and specifies any required changes.**Change Implementation, Project Management, Planning and Optimization** Demonstrates the ability to collate time, resource, and budgetary estimates from multiple stakeholders to design plans for complex projects, implementation activities and manages the change control procedure, while ensuring that project deliverables are completed.**Technical Expertise** Exhibits deep technical knowledge in area of expertise and actively transfers knowledge to strengthen the skill base across the function; considers the most appropriate use of technical resources to ensure skill development and optimization of resource allocation.**Service Management** Consistently monitors performance and delivers high quality technology and services to meet the needs of customers, taking responsibility for the design, installation, upgrading, operation, control, maintenance and effective use of IT infrastructure components.**Client Management** Applies thorough understanding of the business, customers, new IT technologies and techniques to implement improved solutions and define service levels, standards and the monitoring process for client service staff.**Procurement and Contract Management** Able to conduct a cost-benefit analysis of alternative technologies and vendor service level agreements to consolidate options and assess suitability.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced university degree in Computer Science or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience or trainings/courses. A Masters degree in Computer Science or related field will be an asset.
Language Proficiency: Fluency in English is essential.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Five years progressively responsible experience in IT Service Desk, IT Service Management including data processing applications, database management, multi-user network (Windows Server 2016), Linux Enterprise, telecommunications and Cloud Applications (Office 365), network analysis and design, hardware/software installation and management, user assistance, and report documentation
- Coordinated and managed small or medium IT projects.
- Assisted in change management procedures, activities and processes.
- Assisted in establishing standards and protocols for service excellence within own domain.
- Successfully performed installation or testing of new hardware for improving or upgrading systems performance.
- Proven experience is analysing service management results and developing service enhancement recommendations.
- Keen ground-level experience implementing IT and telecoms systems in emergencies.
ITSD Manager Competencies
As part of the capacity-building plans for the continued operation and support of the WFP Global ITSD initiative, the following list is presenting the specific Managerial/technical skills required for the special support requirements of the ITSM.
Functional Competencies (Required)
- Commitment ˖
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Working with People
- Drive for Results
- Leading and Supervising
- Formulating strategies and concepts
- Applying Technical Expertise
- Planning and Organizing
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Note: Candidates are required to register on the e-recruitment portal for sending their applications.
Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at INR 1,902,148/- (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
27 September 2017
How to apply: