Organization: UN Children’s Fund
Closing date: 07 Jan 2018
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world. And we never give up!
Click here to learn more about UNICEF: https://youtube/E1xkXZs0cAQ
For Every Child, AN ADVOCATE
In an effort to measurably improve UNICEF’s ability to deliver better results for children, there is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
How can you make a difference?
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children in the world’s thereby ensuring a better future for every child, this is the chance to make a difference. Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Health and general guidance of the section colleagues this position includes Polio eradication/end game component related to the specific context in India. The Immunization Specialist would oversee the work of Routine Immunization and Health System strengthening, as well as Polio end game strategy. This will include supporting Routine Immunization systems (capacity development, cold chain, logistics, monitoring and evaluation as well as communication for development (social mobilization and demand creation) IPV introduction nationally (including India’s unique use of fractional dose), Polio and Routine Immunization campaigns (NIDs/SIAs/Missions); introduction of new vaccines. (Rota, etc.) The post will be responsible as well for supporting the Polio End Game Strategy, which will include overseeing the work of approximately 7000 SMNet consultants for RI/Polio, who under the current arrangements will be gradually funded by the Government of India, with UNICEF retaining their management and contracting through 3rd party contracting arrangements.
Key function, accountabilities and related duties/tasks
1. Timely sectoral analysis, input, support and coordination contribute to the Situation Analysis with consistent integration of sex disaggregated data and its periodic update for effective project planning, development and management. Contributes towards the preparation of the Situation Analysis by compiling, analyzing and evaluating information and providing the technical input. Ensures the preparation of the Situation Analysis relative to Immunization (EPI) interventions in the country and its periodic update. Prepares sectoral input to the Country Programme Document and all related documents (e.g. Country Programme Document Country Programme Action Plan) of the Immunization programme.
2. In collaboration with UNICEF and government programme officers, design and manage/ facilitate the Polio Eradication transition, ensuring convergence program around polio program in general, aiming at: (a) behavior development/change at individual/household levels; (b) social mobilization of civil society organizations, institutions including informal networks; and (c) increased community participation. Plan and manage research needs; monitor and evaluate programme progress on the basis of research and undertake frequent visits to project sites to monitor implementation.
3. Quality contributions are made to the development and implementation of the Immunization strategies and approaches through participation and collaboration with internal and external partners.
Collaborates with other UNICEF sectors, particularly WASH, Nutrition, Communication for Development, and Advocacy and Communication to ensure integration of the Immunization programme with other sectors.
Participates with UNICEF, Government, non-government organizations (NGOs) and other partners in the development of the immunization strategies and approaches. Ensures achievement of strategic results in line with agreed Annual and Country Programme objectives and adopts corrective action to meet programme/project objectives.
Contributes to the identification, development and dissemination of new strategies, methodologies, approaches and tools for improving programme delivery with emphasis on project management, evaluation, sustainability of intervention and community participation based on Human Rights framework and cross sector approach, in collaboration with other partners (e.g., WHO).
4. Assist Section Chief in resource mobilization and donor partnership development/ maintenance: including donors’ proposals and reports, as well as advocacy efforts to promote the routine immunization and polio end game programme transition. Participate in health sector and inter-sectoral meetings and provide technical guidance on behaviour development and social mobilization. Contribute to donor reports and project proposals as needed. Continue the thorough documentation of India polio eradication programme best practice. Provide technical support to any Polio transition/ legacy process.
5. As Immunization Manager and Specialist, exercises managerial and technical leadership for, and participates in, the development of the results-based sectoral work plan and technical decisions as well as for administration, implementation, monitoring and follow-up of sectoral project activity, consistent with the defined project strategies and approaches. Ensures objectives and targets are timely met and achieved meeting the requirements and quality standards, through full coordination between activities, by leading and supporting a team of professional and support staff.
Meets with national and international agencies overseeing the management of programmes/projects. Participates in meetings with ministries responsible for programme/project review, and follows up on implementation of recommendations and agreements, and integration of gender mainstreaming across sectors.
6. Coordinates activities and exchanges information and knowledge with other programmes to contribute to achievement of overall country programme objectives. Participates in establishing effective monitoring, knowledge database/network and reporting systems to ensure the availability of current and accurate programme information/data, and contributes to the development of communication materials and strategies to support advocacy and community participation for the Immunization Programme.
Maintains close working relationships to establish partnership and collaboration with external counterparts, including those of the UN and national partners, in order to improve the ability to collect and disseminate relevant data, exchange information on programme/project development and implementation. Ensures a significant exchange of knowledge, information, experience and lessons learned.
7. Coordinates with Operations and Supply staff on supply and non-supply assistance activities ensuring UNICEF and Government accountability. Certifies disbursements of funds, ensuring those activities are within established plans of action and programme budget allotments. Monitors the overall allocation and disbursement of programme funds, making sure that funds are properly coordinated, monitored and liquidated. Takes appropriate actions to optimize use of programme funds.
Ensures programme efficiency and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to programme planning, monitoring and evaluation. Submits financial status reports to management in compliance with the regulations and guidelines.
8. Provides expert guidance and technical support to government and NGOs at the national and provincial levels in the planning, development and implementation stages of the programmes/projects. Identifies training needs; coordinates, develops, organizes and oversees training and orientation activities for government personnel and beneficiaries, for the purpose of capacity building, sustainability of programme/projects and promotion/expansion of coverage of services.
9. Other assigned duties and responsibilities are effectively performed. Performs and delivers additional duties and services assigned by the supervisor.
Requirements of the position (QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES):-
Advanced university degree in the Health/Public Health/ with Master’s in public health, (MD/MPH) or International Development, with emphasis on immunization, participatory research, training and impact evaluation of communication interventions.
Minimum Eight (8) years progressively responsible work experience in the planning and management of immunization programmes, in developing and preferably polio endemic countries. Practical experience in the social mobilization and communication planning processes will be considered an asset.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
Competencies of successful candidate
• Leading and Supervising, Level 1 • Formulating Strategies and Concepts, Level 2 • Analyzing, Level 3 • Relating and Networking, Level2 • Deciding and Initiating Action, Level 2 • Applying Technical Expertise, Level 3
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Specific Technical Knowledge Required (for the job)
Common Technical Knowledge Required (for the job group)
Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced (for the Job)
OTHER SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all national, religious, gender and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
How to apply:
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=509706