Organization: Responsible Mica Initiative
Closing date: 18 Feb 2018
Job title : Program Manager
Job type : External Consultant – Full time (likely to be turned to contractual)
Project : Responsible Mica Initiative – India
Location : Ranchi, Jharkhand, India (possibly debatable)
Contract period: 1 year (likely to be extended)
Apply by : February 18th, 2018
Mica is a group of minerals that can be found in a large variety of consumer goods and industry materials, from automotive and electronic components to pigments, paints, cosmetics and construction materials.
About 25% of the world production of mica comes from illegal collection in North-East India, where more than 20.000 children are working in extremely harsh conditions to contribute to their family revenue (https://www.terredeshommes.nl/en ).
Due to a lack of control and traceability, mica from unknown origin – potentially collected by children or in unacceptable working conditions – can infiltrate the supply chain.
Impactful solutions have been developed in India over the past 10 years, initiated by local NGOs, ingredient manufacturers and leading cosmetic companies and several other partners.
In this context, different organizations from all over the world decided to join forces and scale-up models and solutions that have proven successful. Altogether, they created the Responsible Mica Initiative in January 2017 (www.responsible-mica-initiative.com).
ABOUT THE RESPONSIBLE MICA INITIATIVE (RMI): TOWARDS RESPONSIBLE INDIAN MICA SUPPLY CHAINS
The Responsible Mica Initiative is an organization in which multiple industries & organizations jointly commit to using responsible sourcing practices and local engagement to eradicate child labor and improve the livelihood of communities within a compliant and legal mica supply chain in India over the next 5 years (2018 – 2022).
This Do-Tank is inspired by the following 5 overarching principles: “Think holistic; Be action oriented; Stay humble; Include innovation; Collaborate above all”, and pursues the following 3 main interconnected objectives:
After a 1-year Preparation Phase (January – December 2017) intended to gather the conditions necessary for its consolidation and robustness, the Responsible Mica Initiative is now entering its 5-years Implementation Phase, for which it is looking support of an India-based Program Manager.
The Responsible Mica Initiative is seeking a suitable candidate for position of ‘Program Manager’ on consultancy basis for the above described Initiative, for advancing RMI’s objectives, actions, representation, networks and discussions in India.
The Responsible Mica Initiative is looking for an individual with exceptional communication, coordination & partnership building skills to be RMI’s representative and project manager in India. The successful candidate will be based in Jharkhand (possibly debatable) and will work closely with the Responsible Mica Initiative’s governance bodies, Executive Director, members and partners, in India and internationally.
Duties and Responsibilities:
In accordance with the decisions of the Board of Directors, and under the Executive Director’s management
· Contributing to strategic planning & implementation of the programs’ components in India.
· Ensuring coordination and monitoring of RMI’s on-field programs in India.
· Supporting supply chain actors with implementation of RMI’s specifications and monitoring.
· Promoting and acting as spokesperson for RMI in India.
· Contributing to the development of the Responsible Mica Initiative’s by increasing memberships and looking for financing in India.
Partnerships activities (50%)
· Engaging stakeholders, -including Government, NGOs, community organizations, companies involved in mica mining, and others-, to address the issues pertaining to mica supply chains in the target areas.
· Creating and maintaining regular and of-confidence working relationships with partner organizations (both Government, supply chain actors, private sector, NGO, and others) to advance RMI’s programs in a coordinated way.
· Identifying new partnership opportunities for the Responsible Mica Initiative in India.
· Attending key events and meetings organized by external agencies including Government for exploring new partnerships and funding opportunities.
· Develop links with companies in India which are using / exporting mica from India, for strategic partnerships and fundraising.
Advocacy activities (30%)
· Engage discussion and collaborate with law enforcement agencies, Government officials, and CSOs to sensitize them and getting them involved in working towards legal and sustainable Indian mica supply chains, such as child labor free villages and workplaces.
· Watch and report on regulations or directives linked to mica mining activities in India (e-auction process, …)
Documentation activities (20%)
· Support in preparation of all internal reports and collateral as required for RMI, its partners and donors (among which following up on progresses, KPIs, budget).
· Documentation of the practices in the field of mica production in India, outside of Jharkhand and Bihar.
· Collect and collate papers and publications related to mica supply chains related-issues (child labor, informal collection, …) in the area, program interventions, achievements, etc
· Other duties as assigned
What we ask:
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Passionate about bringing people together to effect social, economic, environmental change.
· Demonstrated experience of multi-stakeholder projects’ coordination and monitoring.
· Familiarity with CSR, sustainable supply chains and child labor issues.
· Demonstrated experience in CSR issues with Indian organizations and international ones.
· Familiarity with related Government policies and initiatives.
· Good knowledge of the functioning of Indian national and states governments.
· Strong management and interpersonal skills. Ability to work pro-actively and independently.
· Demonstrated experience with (field) documentation, communication, business development, and maintaining good stakeholder relations.
· Interest in, and experience with, advocacy in/for international development and private sector.
· Superior skills in verbal and written communication (English and Hindi).
· Good reporting capacity.
· Good IT skills.
· Willingness to relocate to the indicated district, and to travel within India & abroad as required.
· Humble, persevering, excellent inter-personal skills, capacity to federate and embark.
Education & Desirable Experience:
· Master’s degree (or equivalent) in International Development, Communications/public relations, Social sciences, or a related field.
· Minimum 7 years of experience working on multi-stakeholders’ programs.
· Preferred experience of working on improving supply chains’ sustainability, child labor and other related projects.
· Demonstrated experience of working with Government agencies, national or international NGOs and national or international private sector companies.
· Minimum 5 years professional experience in India, in Jharkhand or Bihar being a plus.
Contract Period: Full time position with 3 months’ probation period
Compensation: Compensation shall commensurate with qualification and experience.
How to apply:
Interested Candidates, please forward your applications (covering letter and CV) by mail no later than 05.00 pm on Sunday, February 18th, 2018 to: firstname.lastname@example.org .