Closing date: 21 Jun 2018
I- GENERAL OVERVIEW OF POSITION / WORKING CONDITIONS
· Title: Technical Advisor
· Location: Chennai, Tamil Nadu (TN)
· Reporting to: Project Partnership Manager based in Chennai, Tamil Nadu (TN)
· Contract: Fixed-term contract Indian contract of employment – 1 year renewable
Asmae – Association Soeur Emmanuelle is a French international solidarity NGO specialized in child development. It is independent, non-religious, non-political, and open to everyone. Created in 1980 by Sister Emmanuelle following her experience with scavengers in Egypt’s slums, Asmae keeps on respecting its founder’s values and methods: listening and proximity, pragmatism, respect of the differences, professionalism and reciprocity.
Asmae – Association Soeur Emmanuelle’s action aims to support vulnerable children and their families through providing tailor-made and long lasting support to local stakeholders working on education and child protection.
Its vision, “A fair world which guarantees that children can live and grow with dignity within their environment, to become free women and men who contribute to society”, is broken down into four missions:
· Stimulate child development through a global approach. To do this, Asmae – Association Soeur Emmanuelle also works on family support by taking their environment into account;
· Build the capacity of local stakeholders involved in child development, boost cooperation amongst them and maximize their social impact;
· Stand up for children by raising awareness and advocating;
· Experiment, disseminate and share practices.
Nowadays Asmae supports education and child protection projects through 64 local organizations in Burkina-Faso, Egypt, France, India, Lebanon, Madagascar, Mali and the Philippines. Furthermore, in France, Asmae – Association Soeur Emmanuelle also directly manages a mother and childcare center.
II- BACKGROUND ON ASMAE IN INDIA
Asmae has been supporting programs in India since 1996. Asmae works with 6 local partners, mostly on prevention of school drop-out and underperformance, early childhood care and protection and support to adolescence. Asmae’s team in India is composed of the following members: a Country Representative, Admin/Finance Officer and two Project Partnership Managers who are respectively in charge of the monitoring and development of programs in Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu.
The Technical advisor on Child protection is in charge of developing Asmae’s strategy and interventions in the area of child protection in both States. S/he is responsible for capacity-building component in this area, both internally and externally (partners). S/he will represent Asmae in the relevant technical networks and meetings. This position is based in Chennai and reports to the Project Partnership Manager in Chennai.
4.1. To provide technical advice and support to Asmae Team regarding child protection issues.
· Contributes to the development of the new Asmae child protection strategy, identifies key issues and suggests programmatic approaches.
· Participates in studies and evaluations – from draft of terms of reference to report, through the different steps of tool development, data collection and analysis; when conducted externally, supports the identification of consultant and the consultant’s work (by coordinating, validating tools and documents to ensure their quality, etc.).
· Contributes to the identification of partners in this thematic area.
· Contributes to the design of proposals/programs on child protection aspects.
· Ensures compliance with Asmae’s global policy on child protection as well as with national policies and laws.
· Ensures quality programming and implementation of child protection interventions.
· Identifies best practices and contribute to their dissemination towards relevant stakeholders (Asmae, partners, networks, etc.)
4.2. Strengthen partners’ child protection capacities:
· Conducts needs/capacity assessment of the project partners through meetings, consultations, etc. in the area of child protection
· Develops an overall capacity-building plan for the project partners and other identified stakeholders
· Provides technical support on child protection issues
4.3. To Contribute to Networking and External Communication
· Participates and actively contributes in team meetings and seminars organized by Asmae
· Participates in external child protection-related meetings, networks and other fora
· Organizes networking and coordination meetings to promote referral and collaboration mechanisms, exchange of information/experience and tools on protection
· Liaises with relevant stakeholders in the area of child protection, including Ministries, etc.
Education / Experience
· Master’s degree in social sciences or/human rights social work or in related field
· Experience in NGO and/or association and/or direct work with children is required
· At least 5 years’ experience of working in the field of child protection
· Experience with developing child protection projects and programs
· Experience in conducting studies in the field of child protection
Professional skills required
· Excellent knowledge of key child protection issues in the country as well as child protection schemes and mechanisms.
· Good facilitating and training skills
· Fluency in English and in Tamil (Minimum level of B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages or a minimum TOEIC score of 785)
· Pack office Management : Specialist level of Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Skype and Expert level of Excel
· Ability to build trustable relationships with different partners and stakeholders, diplomacy
· Observation, analysis and synthesis capacities
· Listening skills and flexibility
· Team spirit
VI- PRACTICAL INFORMATION
· Place of work: Chennai, with field visits to Pune
· Status: Indian fixed-term employment contract (full time job)
· Duration: 12 months
· Starting date: ASAP
· Salary: according to experience
How to apply:
Candidates should send a detailed resume outlining their academic and professional background relevant to the proposed position, as well as a cover letter, showing the person’s motivation and expertise, with salary expectations, via our website: https://www.asmae.fr/jobs/